7.16.2010

Spicy Fig and Ginger Jam


Each summer, I have a major battle: the birds and I race for the ripe figs culminating under the leaves. This year my five-year old fig tree really went all out, and is producing so much fruit, each branch droops to the ground. And my backyard birds know it. At every opportunity, they are swooping in to take gaping pecks at my ripe, luxurious fruit.


So to outsmart my feathered enemies, I have devised a foolproof plan. I go out to gather figs after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thankfully, this plan seems to be working so far, because I have been able to gather enough figs to make my jam, with some to spare (leaving only a handful that have been pillaged by the birds.)


Crystallized ginger gives a little spunk while fresh lemon juice lightens the flavor.


If you prefer jam with big, fruity chunks, coarsely chop the figs, otherwise, pulse the fruit in processor for a minute. After adding sugar and water, bring it to boil and simmer for 30 minutes.

Less than one hour of prep and cooking time, you will have this beautiful, glorious jam for your scones and biscuits. Actually, I am craving Brie en croute with fig jam! Oh, won't that be just heavenly?

Spicy Fig and Ginger Jam

4 cups coarsely chopped fresh figs
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Cool; pour into airtight containers.

Note: Refrigerate Fig and Ginger Jam in airtight containers up to six weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Kay, this looks amazing, and I will be making it this afternoon! I can't wait to taste it on grilled cheese made with brie and challah (maybe some priscuitto).
    in joy, troye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay,

    I found this link from Tasty Kitchen. Your jam looks so delicious I have ear-marked it for my figs when they ripen this summer (down under) - http://www.thedishylife.com/2010/11/wonderful-surprise.html. Smart idea of picking figs more than once daily too!

    Bec

    ReplyDelete