10.29.2012

Traditional Easy Pot Pies



Good Monday morning!  Unlike most people, I just love Mondays.  My spirit is recharged from the great sermons and worship on Sunday, and although my body is tired from all the cooking I do in the afternoon, there is nothing better in life than to be with God's people on the Lord's Day.  

These photos were featured in the Savannah Morning News weekly food column with Miss Sophie.  And my church family absolutely loves this humble dish.    

 I have to agree with Miss Sophie, that great tasting rich stock or broth is the basis for great tasting pot pies.  So in the IPC kitchen we take a little extra time in making homemade stock by using the carcasses from Sam's rotisserie chickens.  We add bay leaves, fresh onions, carrots, and celery, whole peppercorns,  and cook until all the goodness comes out the marrow.  

Here is a simple pot pie recipe from Miss Sophie, which is very similar to the one I do for my church family.   I hope you will give it a try this week for your family.   Have a wonderful week everyone!  



TRADITIONAL EASY POT PIE
Recipe by Miss Sophie  (Used with permission )
Sauce:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups rich stock
Beef, Chicken, Vegetable or Veal Stock
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme

Filling:
2-3 cups chopped or shredded cooked meat
Rotisserie chicken, turkey, beef or lamb
2 cups cooked vegetables:
Peas, Carrots, Mushrooms, Potatoes or Frozen mixed vegetables, uncooked.

Crust:
1 box of 2 pie crusts or 1 sheet of puff pastry
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water for wash
Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Add onions and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Whisk flour into butter and onions and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.  Slowly whisk broth into flour until smooth, add thyme and bring to slow simmer. Add meat and vegetables. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
For a 2 crust pie: spray a pie plate with cooking spray. Unroll one crust and cover bottom and sides of pie plate, trim excess edges. Pour hot ingredients into pie shell. Top with second pie crust, remove excess crust and tuck crust down around ingredients. Using the tines of a fork, crimp edges to pie plate to seal. Cut two or three slits in the top crust to allow steep to vent. Brush with egg wash.  Bake in a 400 degree oven 30 – 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
For a top crust pie only, pour ingredients directly into pie plate and cover with one pie crust or a sheet of puff pastry, remove excess and tuck crust down around filling. Using the tines of a fork, crimp edges to pie plate to seal. Cut two or three slits in the top crust to allow steep to vent. Brush with egg wash.  Bake in a 400 degree oven 30 – 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Large volume cooking tip:
For the crust, we bake about 300 Garlic-Cheese biscuits separately.  After we ladle the filling in a 12-oz disposable bowl, we then top it with biscuit and serve.  It's much easier to control portions and crust topping this way.  

13 comments:

  1. Mmm these look so wonderfully delicious and comforting! What a great meal for this weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Maria! It was 46 deg F in Savannah! That means almost winter here!

      Delete
  2. Just what we need in 40 degree - gail force wind weather! and I know it's not terribly attractive - but I DO love a good biscuit crust on a pot pie rather than puff pastry. I know it's prettier - I just like something more than "crisp" to chunk down into all that chicken-y goodness.

    Beautiful pies, my dear.. as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been talkin' to my husband? He told me the SAME thing last night.... can't win with good, home-cookin' kinda guys!

      Delete
    2. What can I say... we're born with a biscuit in Both hands :)

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite meals, perfect for this time of year but I love them all year around. Love your recipe and photos :)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, Kay - I must make these. I've been looking for a recipe - my husband loves them! That picture up top is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound great! I was just thinking the other day I needed a recipe for pot pies - but NOW I want little pots like yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pure comfort food! These looks so delicious, Kay! I even have two little pots like this(won in a giveaway)...so cute for serving these individual pies:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sue! So good to hear from you! Knowing you, you've been busy baking up the storm for your little ones? Happy Thanksgiving dear friend!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, Kay...These are just SO lovely! Where did you find the adorable crocks? I MUST put them on my Christmas wish list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca! Those crocks were gifted to me by my friend. They can be found at Sam's Club, Emeril Lagasse brand. :)

      Delete