7.23.2012

Mock Muffaletta Sandwich & Olive Salad

I know I broke all the rules with this one.  No muffaletta bread, instead it was the sour dough.  And I hear it's considered blasphemy to heat the sandwich.  But we did, all of them.  And the Wednesday lunch crowd went wild!  These hearty, delectable sandwiches will be on a very short rotation on our Wednesday lunch menu for sure.    

Slices of ham, provolone cheese, salami, mozzarella, and then da bomb, the olive salad!  Oh, my.  

 Why didn't I make this sooner?  The briny and flavorful olives melded with roasted peppers and artichoke hearts just did it for me.  I'm forever changed and will love this sandwich for rest of my life.  The End.   


Print This Recipe!


Mock Muffaletta Sandwich & Olive Salad
Makes 4 Hearty Sandwiches


Olive Salad  

  • 1 cup pitted green olives , chopped
  • 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon tiny capers
  • 1/3 cup diced roasted red bell pepper
  • 1/3 cup roasted artichoke heart coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • pepper, to taste

Sandwich:
  • 8 slices of sour dough bread
  • 16 thin slices of ham
  • 12 slices of salami
  • 8 slices of provolone cheese
  • 1 cup of freshly shredded mozzarella
  • 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened

For olive salad, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl, season with pepper.  

Preheat a stove top griddle or a large frying pan to medium heat. 

For sandwich, on a slice of sour dough, divide the sandwich ingredients and liberally spread the olive salad.  Top it with the second slice of bread.  Makes four large sandwiches.   Butter the outer layer of the sour dough slices and heat the sandwich through until bread is toasty brown and cheese begin to melt.  Slice diagonally in half and serve immediately.   


5 comments:

  1. My favorite sammich... well, next to a tomato sandwich.

    From the sounds of it.. I don't think the sandwich nazis will be knocking down your door anytime soon.... unless it's to get one of those to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks like a sandwich that could change me forever too! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl...you just knocked this one out of the ball park for me. I have only ever read about muffalettas, but have never eaten one. Thank you so much for this post; it makes these sound so doable. I already have most of the ingredients on hand and a quick trip to the store will provide the rest. I'm gonna get hugs and kisses at my house for this one!

    ReplyDelete