5.25.2012

Simple Garlic Pickles




It's about time I share this super garlic pickle recipe with you.  I tried to post it before, but as you know, pickle are not so photogenic.  My point & shoot camera plus my lack of photography skill a year or two ago didn't help much to improve the look either.  But now, a proper introduction is in order for these fabulous (yes, pickles can be quite fabulous) garlicky pickles with a delightful kick.

Drain all the pickle juice.  After slicing the pickles, put them back in the jar, then add Tabasco sauce, garlic cloves, and sugar.  Easy, wasn't it?  After 2-3 days in the refrigerator, it is ready to serve.  





Simple Garlic Pickles 

1 jar    one gallon, whole kosher dill pickles, regular sour kind
1/2 C  Tabasco sauce
8-10   whole garlic cloves, peeled
3 C     granulated Sugar

Completely drain and discard all the pickle juice. Cut pickles into 1-inch slices. Put sliced pickles back into the empty jar then add the remaining ingredients.

Screw on the jar lid very TIGHTLY. Turn jar upside down and refrigerate; pickle juice will exude and dissolve the sugar. Just incase the pickle juice leaks, put a small pan under.  

Refrigerate pickles 2-3 days, turning the jar once or twice a day.  Now it's ready to serve. 

Keeps crunchy for about 2-3 weeks. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a cool idea. I cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy! Am going to get some pickles and try this today, but in a smaller quantity as I am the only pickle eater in this household. Any tips on scaling down the recipe? And your pictures are awesome.They look great and I haven't even had breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Judy! I have not made smaller portions since we serve these at church requiring a large amount. My guess is that if you reduce the recipe by 1/3 (1 cup sugar, 3 garlic cloves, less than 1/4 cup of Tabasco) with 32 oz jar of pickles, it would work. Let me know how it turns out. :)

      Delete
  3. Yum! Can't wait to try these :)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, your photography skills are now amazing. I just love the photographs! Are you still using a point & shoot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandra,
      Like the Jeffersons' "movin' on up", I got Nikon D3000 then later purchased D7000 with 35mm and 50mm lenses. :)

      Delete
  5. I have been enjoying your blog for some time now! I'd love to try these pickles, but I'm hesitant about the Tabasco amount. Are they very hot? Three dashes in a whole pot of soup is more than we can handle. We are wimps, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete