4.05.2010

Classic Yellow Cake with Milk Chcolate Icing


You probably have me figured out by now that making and eating dessert is an occasional necessity rather than a passion for me. So for my husband's birthday, I asked him, just to be nice, "What kind of birthday do like best? The ice cream cake?" thinking I was going to get out of making the cake this year.

"I would like a good boxed yellow cake with good MILK chocolate icing!" he said. Shoot, I tried. So as a good wife, I got a good boxed cake mix, Duncan Heinz Classic Yellow, and made the cake and the icing. I know, that was a big sacrifice....


Duncan Heinz Classic Yellow Cake Mix:
Baked in 2-8 inch round pans
Bake as directed except I used 1/3 Cup of melted butter instead of vegetable oil

Milk Chocolate Icing

This recipe was doubled for 4-layered cake
3 1/2 ounces milk chocolate
3 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

For icing:

Put the chocolates in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan filled with 1 inch or so of water to a very slow simmer; set the bowl over, but not touching, the water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until melted and smooth.

Alternatively, put the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt at 50 percent power in the microwave until soft, about 1 minute. Stir, and continue heat until completely melted, about 1 to 2 minutes more.

Add the confectioners' sugar, milk, butter, vanilla extract, and salt and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Cool completely before icing, occasionally beating the icing.

2 comments:

  1. what a sweet wife you are! that cake looks beautiful. happy birthday, Kevin!
    -us5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog is so much fun, because from time to time I look back at some of your older posts that I missed. This one made me laugh out loud! As gourmet and from-scratch as we like to be, our families sometimes prefer the boxed and processed. Oh well! The icing recipe sounds delish and looks like what Mom used to make and let me lick the bowl. ;)

    ReplyDelete